Pages

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Raspberry Pi TNC & APRS


I've finally got my RaspiTNC up and running on my Raspberry Pi. It is hard to tell from the screen, but I'm running Xastir APRS software. The APRS (Automatic Packet Reporting System) is a wonderful project led by Bob Bruninga, WB4APR, APRS. Essentially APRS is digital communications for Amateur Radio operators. Here is my home iGate station with Xastir running on the screen:


Here is a closer look at the radio and Rasperberry Pi & TNC:

The radio is showing APRS, which is the memory name for 144.390MHz, the North American APRS frequency.

A closer look at the brains of the system:

The red board is the RaspiTNC, & the green board just below is the Raspberry Pi. Just below that in the somewhat clear case is an external USB hub to power everything and below that is an 8 port switch to hook everything up. 
**** Please ignore the very, very poor job of soldering the capacitor & resistor to the 9 pin SubD connector on the RaspiTNC. This is what happens when you are in a hurry……
However I am happy to report that the TNC receives data packets via RF and transmits them to aprs.fi, and also receives packets from the internet and sends them out via RF.

You can see the APRS J-Pole antenna that I used in a post about 4 weeks ago. it is omnidirectional to provide fairly even coverage around Irricana.

If you want to see where my station is from anywhere in the world, click over to aprs.fi and track call sign VE6RBN-1 which will zoom right into my rig show here.

No comments:

Post a Comment